Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Things to do rather than fret

I've just sent in the first draft of Weather to the editor, and of course I'm now sitting down and realizing all the things I want to fix in it (and would be absolutely mortified for other people to find!). But that's not very useful so I've been doing homework to take my mind off of fretting. 

And lab work. I spent most of this morning in the laboratory with a handlens and huge quantities of enormous bullfrog tadpoles, examining mouthparts and trying to determine the extent of bleaching to said mouthparts. The lab I work in is a lot of fun, as the professor who runs it will turn up every so often with a mess of salamanders or toads and there are turtles absolutely everywhere all the time. I started out working with insects in my first lab, and sea urchins in my second and it's a delight to meet actual vertebrates while doing research. I'm only handling dead critters at this point, though. 

I had lab meeting soon after that, which was full of math but still interesting. I snuck out early when it hit the awkward silence stage as everyone stared at the paper and tried to think up comments about it or made a last minute attempt on the hummus before all of it disappeared. The lab meetings are very well provided for in the food department. 

Then there was home and homework and last minute dinners because we'd expected to go shopping and get dinner out and then didn't (long story). So in the end, I distracted myself fairly well from worrying about whether my manuscript is a complete embarrassment. 

Well, until now. 

Stuff it, I'm going to go play video games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment